One of the first decisions you’ll make in the home design process is the style you want your home to be. The difference between modern and traditional home design goes far beyond what meets the eye.
The terms ‘modern’ and ‘traditional’ are often very misused. Many people use them as a synonym for ‘old’ and ‘new,’ but this couldn’t be farther from the truth. The reality is that there is much more to modern and traditional architecture than age.
Here are some of the key differences between these two popular styles.
Traditional Home Design
A ‘traditional’ home draws influence from architectural styles such as Victorian, Colonial, Craftsman, or Neoclassical architecture. Though these styles differ, traditional-style houses tend to have several features in common including:
- Large, Open Porches with Overhanging Beams and Rafters
- Tall, Pointed Roof Lines with One of More Gables
- Use Brick, Wood, Plaster, Stucco and Stone Building Materials
- Spaces Divided into Single-Purpose Rooms
- Use Symmetrically Placed Windows of Similar Shape and Size
- Decorative Trim and Molding
Traditional architecture usually features more intricate and elegant details.
Modern Home Design
Modern architecture favors a simple, clean design. You won’t see all the frills on this type of home. Instead, you can expect features including:
- Unconventional Roofs (Flat, Low-Sloped, or Multi-Level Roof Lines)
- Straight Lines
- Clean Exterior with No Texture
- Utilizes Reinforced Steel, Concrete, and Plastic Materials
- Seamless, Open-Concept Spaces with Very Few Walls
- Multi-Purpose Rooms
- Open Riser Stairs
- Oversized Windows and Skylights
- Minimalist Design that Leaves Out Decorative Trim and Moldings
Modern architectural design lets the structure speak for itself.
Modern and Traditional Home Design
The difference between modern and traditional home design is a matter of taste. We happen to love both. And, maybe you can have the best of both worlds and incorporate a little of both architectural designs in your new construction home.
Are you looking for new subdivisions in Bentonville, Arkansas to build? Consider Scissortail. We have lots for sale in Northwest Arkansas where you can build your dream home in a quiet, private gated community.
No matter your architectural preference, we have eight exclusive builders who can help you design the home you’ve always wanted. Contact us to start building your future today or to view one of our new construction homes for sale.